Monday, October 22, 2007

Bad Attitude Words and other Misc. Things

Here's a new phrase I have started using this year. My school kids tend to say things like, "ummmmmmmmm, he said a BAD WORD"! So what defines a bad word - something inappropriate to say? Today I was told that "crud" is not a bad word. Hmm, but it is a "bad attitude word" and in my classroom that is unacceptable. I think that sort of redefines bad words. "I can't do it" - bad attitude words!

I also heard another teacher use this little rhyme to get her kids in line last week. "Hands up high, hands down low, behind your back and away we go." I thought that was very clever.

I usually sing this to the tune of "Are You Sleeping"
"Can you make a line, Can you make a line
For Me, For Me
Bubble in your mouth and your hands behind
Can you make a line
For Me"
I made that one up, so you are free to use it. We have squares on the floor in our school and a lot of teachers say, "look down at your shoebox" to make sure kids are in a straight line. I use it a lot as well. When we are going down the hall I simply remind the kids "Buckle and Bubble" or "Check your shoebox". I often sing those too.

I can't think what tune this goes to, but for circle time I sing:
"Put your bottoms on the rug on the run
Put your bottoms on the rug on the rug
Put your bottoms on the rug and give yourself a hug
Put your bottoms on the rug on the rug"

To get their attention I sing (to "Are you Sleeping")
"Are you listening, Are you listening
to me, to me
Are you listening to me, Are you listening to me
Shh Shh Shh
Shh Shh Shh"

I also do a little rhyme
"Open Shut them, Open Shut Them
Give a little clap
Open Shut them, Open Shut them
Put them in your lap
Creep them, Creep them
Slowly Creep them right up to your chin
Open wide your little mouth, but do not let them in
Open Shut them, Open Shut Them
Give a little clap
Open Shut them, Open Shut them
Put them in your lap"


When a child is running in the halls I say, "Slow Feet are Safe Feet"

I will try to post more of these little things as I think of them. These things are what I get asked about most often, but its hard to think of them off the top of my head. If you have any questions - feel free to send me a question in the comment box. If you have suggestions - Please send me a comment. I might even add it as a post here on the blog!

No comments: